Later I came to know that Khichda is a Bohri delicacy with meat, whole grains like wheat and lentils. But I must admit, the recipe scared me a bit. I wanted to try it from a long time. Finally I came across Shaan'sKhichda Mix pack at the local Indian stores. So decided to use it. It can be your one dish complete meal. I followed the recipe as given on the back of the pack. I reduced the amount of ghee.
The garnish of crunchy onions and mint gives a special flavor to this hearty strew.
Meat-Whole Grains Casserole
1 packet Shaan Khichda Mix
(It has two parts. One is grains/lentils mixture* and the other is a spice sachet**)
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
Shaan Masala Sachet**
10 cups water
1 cup mint/pudhina/phodina - chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 big onion, thinly sliced
few sprigs of mint, chopped
Method0. Marinate chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste.
1. Soak the whole grains packet* in water for 1 - 2 hours.
2. Brown thinly sliced onion in 1 tbsp oil or ghee. Stir in chopped mint leaves - few sprigs. Keep aside for garnish.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker.
4. Saute marinated chicken, masala sachet for 5 minutes. Add soaked/drained grains.
5. Add 10 cups water.
6. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Let the pressure drop of its own.
7. Open the lid. Add mint leaves. Simmer for 7 minutes.
8. Switch off the gas. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
9. Serve in individual bowls, garnish with browned onion-mint mixture.Note
1. Shaan Khichda Mix packet yields in a huge amount of Khichda. So make it when you have company or be ready to freeze the leftovers. Otherwise, you may need to use half of the khichda mix.
2. I like to serve this as a one dish meal on the wintry nights. You can also serve it along with Naan or Pita bread.
3. For richer taste, use ghee/clarified butter instead of oil.
4. I reduced the amount of chicken needed for the recipe.