Sunday, January 25, 2009
Kaarela Nu Shaak
Bitter gourd Stir Fry
3 bitter gourds/karelas - scraped/peeled, sliced into 2" thin strips
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1/4 tsp amchoor powder
1 tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled, thin slivers
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt on the bitter gourd strips. Keep aside for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze out water from bitter gourds. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a nonstick kadai. Add turmeric powder, garlic slivers and bitter gourd slivers.
3. Saute for about 12-15 minutes on low flame till bitter gourd changes color. You can make it crunchier if you like.
4. After the gourd strips are cooked, add salt, sugar, chili powder, coriander cumin powder and amchoor powder.
5. Saute for 5 minutes.
6. Serve along with daal and rice.
1. Make sure to slice bitter gourd strips very thin.
2. Remember that salt in already added to bitter gourd strips. Adjust while cooking accordingly.