"Food for me was a connecting link to my grandmother, to my childhood, to my past. And what I found out is that for everybody, food is a connector to their roots, to their past in different ways. It gives you security; it gives you a profile of who you are, where you come from." - Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
I spotted a really good-looking raw banana at our supermarket the other day. So I thought of making my Aaji's bharit.
Kachchya Kelyache Bharit
Raw Banana Relish
1 raw banana/plantain
few drops of oil
1 cup plain yogurt (fat free OK)
salt to taste
1 small onion, minced
2-3 green chilies, minced
1 tbsp cilantro, minced
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
1. Grease plantain with a few drops of oil. Grill or roast on a gas/grill till the peel is black and banana is cooked through.
2. When cooled, peel the banana. Mash the cooked banana to a pulp using potato masher.
3. Stir in onion, chilies, cilantro, salt & yogurt.
4. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds ans asafoetida.
5. Drizzle the sizzling oil over the banana-yogurt mixture. Mix well.
1. I find roasting the banana over the gas is extremely messy. Moreover I am never sure if the banana is well cooked or not. So I generally pressure cook the raw banana with peels on. and then peel it off and mash to pulp.
2. If made too much in advance, this salad becomes too dry. You may need to add more yogurt while serving.