Tempered chapatis stir fry
5 leftover chapatis, torn and twirled in a blender for a few seconds
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar (or per taste)
1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
1/4 cup raw, unsalted peanuts
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1/4 the of lemon
1. Tear the chapatis by hand. Add them to the grinder and grind just for a second to get crushed chapatis. 5 chapatis result in about 1 1/2 cups crushed chapatis for me.
2. Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Saute for 7-10 minutes till onion & peanuts are soft.
3. Now add crushed chapatis, salt & sugar. Sprinkle a few drops of water. Saute for another 5 minutes.
4. Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
5. Squeeze some lemon juice while serving.
1. This should be soft but it should neither be crunchy nor mushy. So sprinkle water after adding chapatis but do not add too much water.
This post is also my entry to Sunshinemom's celebration of the color "Yellow".