Sunday, January 11, 2009
To my pleasant surprise, Gudiya just loved this curry. She can be quite unpredictable when it comes to food. and I guess, for all moms (or dads!), it's a moment of ultimate joy when their kids give two thumbs up!
Chicken Hariyali or Palak Gosht
Spinach Chicken Curry
1 lb chicken, boneless/skinless, cut into chunks
1 tomato, chopped
1 onion, minced
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
Grind to paste1
1/2 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
1-2 green chilies
1/2 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Grind to paste2
1 bunch spinach, boiled
1 tbsp white poppy seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp oil or ghee
salt to taste
1/2 tsp kasoori methi, crushed
1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Grind paste 1 . Mix with yogurt & turmeric powder. Marinate the chicken. Cover. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
2. Clean spinach. Wash it several times in running water. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil. As the spinach wilts, switch off the gas. Let it cool down a little. Grind to a smooth paste along with cashews, poppy seeds, coriander seeds.
3. Heat oil in a pressure pan/cooker or handi. Add all cloves and cinnamon.
4. As the spices leave a wonderful aroma, add onion. Saute till golden brown.
5. Add marinated chicken along with yogurt. Saute for 5 minutes. Add crushed black pepper.
6. Now add spinach paste, tomato and 1/2 cup water. Add salt to taste.
7. Pressure cook till 3-4 whistles.
8. Let the pressure drop completely. Open the lid. Let it simmer.
9. Add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala.
1. The consistency of this curry should be on the thicker side.
2. For richer taste, use ghee for tempering and also add 1/4 cup heavy cream in step 9.