Friday, January 16, 2009

Apoorva's Prawn Gassi


Few years back, Times of India (the city supplement, Bombay times to be precise!) ran the series "Your Speciality". The readers used to request their favorite restaurant recipe and the owner/chef of that restaurant would oblige with their signature recipe. I had clipped all those recipes. I was still studying then, and I couldn't try any of those recipes. Today, while going through that collection, I decided to try these recipes that now make me nostalgic of my city - Mumbai.

Interesting Read -
Eating Out Apoorva - Busybee

Prawn Gassi - Apoorva Style (Serves 4-5)
Ingredients
1/2 kg Prawns, medium size
salt
20 ml coconut oil

Grind to a paste
5 gm garlic
5 gm chili
5 gm ginger
5 gm tomato pieces
25 gm poppy seeds/khas khas
50 gm coriander seeds
20 gm cumin seeds
5-10 gm black peppercorns
15 kashmiri chilies

Grind to make coconut milk
1 grated coconut

Method
1. Boil prawns
2. Season coconut oil with masala paste.
3. Add coconut milk. Bring to boil. Add salt.
4. Pour over the boiled prawns.
5. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves
Note -
I used ready made coconut milk.


Credits
Bombay Times
&
Apoorva Lunch Home
Noble Chambers,
SA Brelvi Road (near Horniman Circle),
Fort, Mumbai, India
Phone: 22-2288-1457

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs