Monday, December 8, 2008
Turmeric leaves are used in Konkani cuisine for their unique flavor. Mom sometimes uses a turmeric leaf while boiling plain rice. It just tastes divine especially with some hot & sour fish curry.
Turmeric Leaf Scented Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 turmeric leaf, tied in a knot
1. Pick rice for any impurities. Wash and drain.
2. Add water and bring to boil. Drop the turmeric leaf knot.
3. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for about 9 minutes or till the rice grains looked cooked.
4. Cover with a lid. Do not open for at least 7 minutes.
5. Serve hot with fish curry for the traditional combo.
1. Turmeric leaf is not meant to be eaten. It is used just for flavor. Please discard it before serving the rice.