Saturday, December 20, 2008
Mavani Chawlichi Usal
Black eyed peas Stir Fry
2 cup black eyed peas/chawLi sprouts
salt to taste
1/2 - 1 tbsp jaggery
1 small tomato, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp chili powder
Grind to a coarse paste
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
5 black peppercorns
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1. Pressure cook the beans and set aside.
2. Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As the seeds start crackling, add onion. Saute for about 5 minutes till the onion is soft.
3. Now add ground masala paste & tomato. Saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add cooked beans, salt, chili powder and jaggery. Add 1/4 cup water.
5. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes till jaggery is melted.
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
1. While cooking the beans, make sure that they are cooked but not completely mashed.
2. This usal needs to be dry so the water needs to be completely evaporated. However, if you prefer some gravy, retain some water.
3. Original recipe would call for more coconut for grinding as well as for garnishing. I have substantially reduced the amount per our taste and needs.