Friday, December 19, 2008
Broken Wheat Pudding
1 cup broken wheat (medium grain)
3 cups water
2 tbsp ghee (or more!)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
1 tbsp cashews (optional)
1 tbsp raisins (optional)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
A pinch of nutmeg
A spoonful of almond slivers
0. Fry cashews and raisins in the ghee. Drain and set aside.
1. Roast broken wheat adding ghee/clarified butter on a low flame, till it turns golden. Add coconut.
2. Boil water & sugar. Add it to the above mixture.
3. Keep stirring till porridge like consistency is formed.
4. Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Keep stirring till ghee appears to leave lapsi.
5. Garnish with cashews & raisins or almond slivers.
1. There is a fine variety of broken wheat and medium variety. Use fine variety for making Kansaar. and medium grain for making Lapsi.
2. I did not use cashews and raisins. I used only almond slivers.
3. Lapsi is generally made on the auspicious days in Gujarat.