Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kashiphala Bhart

I came to know from my mom, that my great grandmother used to make this side dish from red pumpkin. What I really liked the most about this dish is the name "Kashiphal" for red pumpkin. I used butternut squash to replicate my great grandmother's recipe.

Amma's Kashiphala Bhart
Butternut Squash dip/relish
1 small butternut squash, peeled
salt to taste
1 small onion, minced
2 green chilies, minced
1 lemon, squeezed

coconut oil per taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
few curry leaves

1 tbsp fresh coconut (or more!)

1. Pressure cook butter nut squash adding 2 tbsp water. Using a fork, squish the squash to a mush.
2. Add onions, green chilies, lemon juice and coconut with salt.
3. Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
4. Pour the sizzling oil over the squash mixture.
5. Mix well.

Note -
1. You can use acorn squash as well as red pumpkin for the above recipe.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs