Thursday, December 11, 2008
I came to know from my mom, that my great grandmother used to make this side dish from red pumpkin. What I really liked the most about this dish is the name "Kashiphal" for red pumpkin. I used butternut squash to replicate my great grandmother's recipe.
Amma's Kashiphala Bhart
Butternut Squash dip/relish
1 small butternut squash, peeled
salt to taste
1 small onion, minced
2 green chilies, minced
1 lemon, squeezed
coconut oil per taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
few curry leaves
1 tbsp fresh coconut (or more!)
1. Pressure cook butter nut squash adding 2 tbsp water. Using a fork, squish the squash to a mush.
2. Add onions, green chilies, lemon juice and coconut with salt.
3. Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
4. Pour the sizzling oil over the squash mixture.
5. Mix well.
1. You can use acorn squash as well as red pumpkin for the above recipe.