I learnt this delicious yogurt-rice salad from my maushi - maternal aunt.
1 cup rice
1 cup yogurt
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp cream (optional)
alt to taste
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter/toop or oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp grated ginger
3-4 dahi mirchi or 2 dry red chilies broken
1 tbsp cilantro, finely minced
Sweet Lemon Pickle
1. Pressure cook rice adding double amount of water. Set aside. Let it cool down.
2. Mix yogurt , milk & cream - if using - with salt.
3. Mash cooked rice slightly. Add yogurt mixture.
4. Heat small saucepan.
5. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
6. As the seeds sizzle, and dahi - mirchi - if using puff up, pour the sizzling ghee or oil in the rice mixture.
7. Mix well. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
8. Serve with sweet lemon pickle, at room temperature or chilled.
1. Serve this salad chilled during hot summer months. It has a wonderful cooling effect on the body.
2. If you do not have dahi mirchi , use red / dry chilies but dahi mirchi adds a special taste.
This post is my contribution to FIC - White by Lubna Karim of Yummy Food.
FIC event is started by Sunshinemom of TongueTicklers.