Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Batatya Song

I have seen that this amazing recipe is blogged by many bloggers as this is one of the basic & classic recipes from the Konkani kitchens. The taste is as unique as the name of this simple dish.

I am sharing my family's version here.


Batatya Song
Potato & Onion Curry
Ingredients
4-5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil or any other oil of preference

Grind to a coarse paste
5-6 byadgi chilies, roasted in a drop of coconut oil
1 tbsp tamarind pulp

Method
1. Heat oil. Saute onion till golden brown. Do not let it burn.
2. Add ground masala paste. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add 1 cup water. add salt to taste.
4. Add potato chunks. Bring to boil.
5. Let it simmer. Using back of the spoon, mash 1 or 2 pieces of potatoes to give a thick consistency.
Note -
1. The coconut oil gives a unique and authentic flavor. However, if you are bothered by the saturated fat contents in the coconut oil, you can use canola or olive oil. and then add a few drops of coconut oil for flavor.
2. Though not authentic, I make my own variations to the above basic and original recipe (original - as in my family, I know authentic/original definition changes from family to family!) . Sometimes I add 1 tbsp jaggery which adds another dimension to the spicy, sour flavor of curry.
3. Sometimes I also add coriander-cumin seeds powder, curry leaves, mustard seeds in the tempering.
4. My grandmother never served this song with dosa, but I love to serve this with any kind of dosa. I think it just tastes out of this world. Last time, I served it with Maya's (or actually Maya's mom's !) set dosa.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs