Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stuffed Chili Pickle

I particularly love one stall at the farmers' market the most. This farmer has many Asian veggies. I get bitter melons (not gourds!), water spinach, Thai eggplants, lemon grass. I am always eager to explore the bounty of this stall. When I saw these green thingies, I had no idea what they were. "Flower chili peppers!", the farmer said. I had never heard or seen these before. So I bought them immediately. I wanted to know their heat level. "Moderately spicy!", the farmer replied.While coming home, I kept thinking what can be made with these? The simple answer came to my mind was chutney, but I also wanted to preserve their beautiful flower like shape. So I thought of making a pickle - stuffed chili pickle. I almost knew the recipe but I tweaked a few ingredients.

Stuffed Chili Pickle
Flower chili peppers 20-22
1 tbsp methi kuriya/crushed fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp rai kuriya/crushed mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/8 tsp allspice powder
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup mustard oil

1. Rinse the chilies and let them dry completely.
2. Slit the chilies to stuff the masala still leaving them whole.
3. Mix all the spices and salt together.
4. Carefully, stuff the spices inside the chilies.
5. Carefully place all the stuffed chilies in a clean and dry airtight, glass container.
6. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and oil.
7. Cover with the lid tightly. Shake the bottle vigorously.
8. Keep in a sunny window for 2-3 days, shaking in between. Make sure that the lid is tightly secured.
9. The pickle is ready to be used after 3 days. Refrigerate after opening.

Note -
1. If you are not used to handling spicy chilies, wear hand gloves.
2. Remove seeds and veins of chilies if you can't tolerate any heat.
3. Wash your hands several times with soap after handling the chilies. :-)


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs