Friday, October 10, 2008

Sindhi Besan Ki Curry

I wanted to try this curry from a long time. I had scribbled this recipe from my friend many moons ago but never made this curry by myself. When I noticed that I had all the vegetables in the fridge, I thought of making this immediately. The lotus root also known as kamlkakdi or kanwalkakdi in Hindi ,was the star of this curry. I used the frozen variety from my Indian stores. Please note that this curry - at least the way my friend's mom makes it - has four souring agents - tomatoes, raw mango, kokum & tamarind. So adjust the proportion as per your taste.

Serve this curry with paratha or plain rice.

Sindhi Besan ki Curry
Chickpea Flour Curry

1/4 cup besan
1 small potato, peeled & diced
3-4 okras, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
4-5 green beans, chopped
2 tbsp lotus roots, chopped & baked
1 small eggplant, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled, diced
1 tbsp raw mango, chopped
2 kokums, rinsed
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp jaggery

A pinch of garam masala
salt to taste
4 cups water

2 tsp oil

1 tsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp asafoetida
2 red chilies, halved
1 green chili, chopped


1. Heat oil and ghee. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida and chilies.

2. As the chilies change the color, add chickpea flour/beasn. Saute for a few minutes till the raw smell of besan disappears and it looks nicely fried.

3. Now add water and bring to boil. Lower the gas. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Add all the vegetables, garam masala, kokum, tamarind & jaggery. Let it simmer till vegetables are cooked.

5. Simmer for 10 more minutes.

6. Serve hot with plain rice.

Note -

1. I used frozen, chopped lotus roots from the Indian stores. I thawed it in the refrigerator and then drained and air-dried. I used the lotus roots to make baked chips as seen on Jugalbandi.

2. I have substantially reduced the amount of oil and ghee compared to my friend's recipe of besan ki curry.

3. This curry gets thicker if kept for a long time at room temperature. Though it should not have broth like consistency, it should not be very thick either.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs