Monday, October 20, 2008
Proteins and good carbs along with leafy greens rolled together in one healthy flatbread!!
Toordaal-Fenugreek Leaves Flatbread
1 cup toor daal
1 1/2 - 2 cups wheat flour or as needed
1 - 2 green chilies
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 bunch methi/fenugreek leaves or spinach
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1. Soak toor daal in sufficient water overnight or at least 8 hours.
2. Next morning, drain and grind the daal along with green chilies, ginger, garlic,asafoetida and turmeric powder. Do not add water.
3. Pour the ground daal mixture in a plate or parat. Add remaining powders, salt and wheat flour. While adding the wheat flour, continue kneading to form a non-sticky dough. For above toordaal paste, I needed about 1 3/4 cup wheat flour.
4. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
5. Heat pan. Make equal balls of the dough. Roll into discs.
6. Shallow fry on low flame till brown spots appear on both the sides. Add oil as necessary.
7. Serve with chundo or pickle & yogurt.
1. I used methi leaves from my kitchen garden. I didn't have a whole bunch. More methi you add, better flavor you will get.
2. Spinach can be substituted for Methi/fenugreek leaves.
3. This sekla also tastes delicious to dunk in the hot tea.
4. In the above recipe, I also add ground flax seeds along with wheat flour.