Friday, October 24, 2008

Patty Pan Squash Pooda

Going to the local farmers' market gives me the feel that I am back in India. When I went there some time back, I found these patty pan squashes. They looked very cute. 5 for $1!! My colleague, Sherry, used to say, if you get anything 5 for $1, you should just buy it whether you want it or not!! :-) So of course I went on to buy it. I think that the farmer was in a jolly mood, because he gave me one extra as a lagniappe, I guess!! I was happy.

But after coming home, I had a mad rush of making the patty pan dishes one after the other!! I didn't want to spoil them after all.

Patty Pan Pooda
Patty Pan Crepe
Ingredients
1 1/2 cup grated patty pan
1 1/2 cup moong daal flour
salt to taste
2 cups water or as needed
1 1/2 tsp green chili-ginger paste (or per spice level)
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
2-3 spring onions, chopped along with greens
1 tbsp plain yogurt
Oil for greasing

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients except oil. Do not add all the water at once. Make a batter of pancake like consistency. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
2. Grease a frying pan. Pour a ladleful of batter. Cover and let it cook till brown spots appear.
3. Flip and cook on the other side.
4. Make a stack of pancakes or poodas
5. Serve hot along with chutney of your choice or tomato ketchup.

Note -
1. Instead of moong daal flour, besan or chickpea flour can be used.
2. I did not peel the patty pan before grating since it was really fresh.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs