Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Laal Rajma ni Daar - Parsi Rajma Curry

I wanted to try something different with the cooked kidney beans that I found in the freezer yesterday. First I thought the usual Punjabi rajma curry but then I didn't want to spend time sauteing which is the most crucial step in making Rajma or at least that's what I think. I thought of "Laal Rajma Ni Daar" that I read in Dr. Katy Dalal's "Jamva Chalo ji". but the recipe asked for Dhansak masala which I didn't have in the pantry and really was in no mood to make it from scratch. So I followed pretty much the same recipe but added kitchen king masala and then some pav bhaji masala. The gravy tasted really good.

Laal Rajma Ni Daar
inspired by Jamva Chalo ji
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups rajma/kidney beans, pressure cooked
3/4 cup coconut milk (I used reduced fat)
1 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
1/2 tsp kitchen King Masala
1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala
1/4 tsp coriander cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp chili powder

Tempering
2 tsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves, garlic, minced
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 red chili, halved
1 tomato

Garnish
1 tbsp cilantro

Method
1. Pressure cook Rajma or kidney beans and set aside
2. Heat oil. Add red chili, turmeric powder, onion and garlic.
3. Saute till the onion is soft. Add tomatoes. Saute for 5 minute.
4. Now add all the masala powders,beans, salt and jaggery.
5. As the masala coats the beans, add coconut milk.
6. Bring to a gentle boil.
7. Switch off the gas. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.
8. Serve with plain rice, or jeera rice or brown rice.

Note
1. Use Dhansak masala if you have it in the pantry for more authentic taste.
2. The 2 1/2 cups proportion of kidney beans is of soaked & cooked kidney beans and not the dry kidney beans.

Credits
Jamva Chalo Ji - by Dr. Katy Dalal.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs