My dear friend, Purnima, sent me an encouraging email with the link to Amy's blog as well as Manisha's post. She thought I can do it. Hopefully, I will be able to keep up with the challenge. Let's see. Thanks Purnima, for your encouragement & friendship.
Let's go to today's recipe. Try this bhaaji when you get or grow fresh bunches of cilantro in abundance. If you like that peculiar flavor of cilantro, you may like this bhaaji. or else use spinach or spring onions or any other greens of your choice.
Kothimbeerichi (Peeth Perun) Bhaji
Cilantro Stir Fry
2 big bunches cilantro/coriander leaves, rinsed, chopped
9-11 spinach leaves, chopped (optional)
3/4 - 1 cup besan/chickpeas flour or as needed
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Roast besan on a low flame for about 10 minutes or till a wonderful aroma wafts through your kitchen. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai/wok. Add the ingredients for tempering. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
3. Now add, chopped cilantro. Saute for a few minutes till the cilantro is wilted and appears to be cooked. It may take about 5-7 minutes.
4. Now add salt and sugar with chili powder. Stir well.
5. Add roasted besan, 1 tbsp at a time. Keep stirring while adding the besan. The bhaji will absorb the besan.
6. Add another spoonful of oil - if using - and let the bhaji cook for few more minutes on a low flame.
1. This bhaji can be made in nonstick kadai or wok to avoid more oil.
2. Spinach, spring onions, methi/fenugreek leaves can be added to the same bhaaji or can be made of them own alone.
3. You can increase or decrease the amount of besan based on your own taste. Add more besan if you want a very dry version. But let the bhaaji cook for some more time after the besan is added otherwise it will taste raw.
4. I try to use less oil but this bhaji tastes even better if you add more oil.
This post is my contribution to Siri's Herb Mania: Cilantro.
Herb Mania event is started by Dee of Amalu's Kitchen.