Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Great Punjab - Kadai Chicken

Great Punjab restaurant at Bandra was one of our favorite family eat out destinations. So it's not a surprise that I have tried this recipe several times. I am giving the recipe as is and then have shared my modifications because adding 600 ml oil is a bit too much for me!!:-D
Yes. I know what some of you are thinking. Is it really possible to share the recipes when these restaurants are minting money? I am not sure how authentic the recipe is. But I always have fun recreating the magic in my kitchen and I invite you to enjoy the same. Use your own imagination if you think that the chef has not divulged the secret ingredient. Add mint and cilantro instead of cilantro, or add garam masala or khada masala....But the point is to enjoy and have fun!:-D
Kadai Murgh
Ingredients
1.5 kg boneless chicken
75 gm fresh garlic, pulped
75 gm fresh ginger, pulped
1 tsp salt
2 medium onions, chopped
1 small bunch of coriander leaves
4-6 green chilies
4 firm tomatoes, sliced
2 large green peppers, sliced
Method
1. Wash chicken pieces, rub the ginger- garlic pulp and salt. Set aside
2. Grind half of onions with coriander leaves & green chilies and rub over the chicken pieces.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Fry remaining onions till golden brown. Remove and set aside.
4. Fry marinated chicken pieces till cooked.
5. Add sliced onions and bell peppers and saute till they are cooked but still crunchy.
6. Garnish with fried onions and coriander leaves.
7. Serve directly in a kadai.
My Modifications -
1. I do not deep fry onions and chicken pieces. I just saute onions, add chicken pieces and tomatoes and bell peppers till done. So I use much less oil.
2. I love to squeeze some lemon juice just before serving.
3. I used yellow bell peppers but you can use different colored bell peppers.
4. Sometimes I also add a pinch of garam masala.
5. Always regrigerate the chicken for marination. Also, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator and not on the counter to avoid bacteria.


Credits
Great Punjab
266, Linking Rd. Bandra, Mumbai 400050

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs