Wednesday, September 17, 2008
These sweet appes are made on the Anant chaturdashi day in my family.
1 cup Wheat grains /gahu/gehu
1 cup grated jaggery
1/3 cup pohe/pressed rice
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1/4 tsp salt
Oil for frying
1. Soak wheat grains/berries in water overnight.
2. Grind adding very little water.
3. Soak pohe for 15 minutes.
4. Add soaked poha, jaggery, salt, coconut & cardamoms in the wheat mixture and grind again.
5. Set aside covered for an hour. If needed add more water to get the consistency of Idli batter.
6. Heat Appe pan. Drizzle some oil.
7. Pour the batter in each hole, cover and let it cook.
8. Flip over and cook on the other side.
9. Serve along with ghee/toop/clarified butter - if using.
1. 1 cup dry wheat gave me about 2 cups soaked wheat.
2. Adjust grated jaggery proportion per your requirements.
3. Traditionally, ghee is used to fry these appe.
4. The above proportion gave me 25 Appes.
5. For richer taste, you can use coconut milk instead of water.
6. Without the accompaniment, it is a vegan recipe.
I am sending these whole grain Appes to Suganya's JFI - Whole Grains.
(Thanks, Maya, for letting me know about this event!)