Wednesday, September 24, 2008
This "birde" is considered as a Maharashtrian delicacy. The most difficult to find ingredient in this recipe is "Kadu or kadve" vaal. Mom always gets it for me whenever she visits.
Vaalache Birde (Prononuced as Bir - day)
Bitter Field Beans Curry
2 cups bitter field beans sprouts/kadu vaal/kadve vaal/DaLimbya
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
Grind to a fine paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
3-4 green chilies
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, minced
1. Follow the process as mentioned here to get the sprouts.
2. Heat oil. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. When onion is softened, add sprouts and 2 tbsp water.
4. Cover and let it cook on a low flame.
5. Add ground green masala with 1/2 cup water.
6. Add salt to taste & sugar.
7. Simmer for 10 minutes.
1. The consistency of this curry should be little thick.
2. Substitute mung beans if you can't find Kadve vaal.
This post is my contribution to Sunshine Mom's celebration of the color Green.