Saturday, September 27, 2008
My husband is not much of a rice eater. Actually he can go without rice forever. The only exception is "Thakkali Saadam" or tomato rice. He just loves it a lot. I make Thakkali Saadam quite regularly at our home. So why not Thakkali Quinoa? Since I was making it as a one dish meal for dinner, I also added some yellow moong daal for the protein boost.
Thakkali QuinoaTomato Quinoa Porridge
1 1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup yellow moong daal (optional)
salt to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (6 oz) organic tomato paste or 3 tomatoes, grated to pulp & peels discarded
1 tbsp sambar masala
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp urad daal
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1. Soak quinoa and moong daal in water for about 1 hour.
2. Drain. Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to boil.
3. Simmer till the grains are cooked. Keep covered. Let it cool down completely. Use a fork to fluff it lightly.
4. Heat oil. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
5. Now add onion. Saute till it softens.
6. Now add tomato paste or pulp and sambar powder.
7. Give a quick stir and add about 1/2 cup water.
8. Add salt to taste. As the mixture starts bubbling, add cooked quinoa-daal mixture.
9. Stir well so all the ingredients are mixed well.
10. Cook for another 7-9 minutes, covered.
11. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for about 10 minutes.
12. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
1. Instead of canned tomato paste, you can use tomatoes, peeled and pulped or grated raw tomatoes or follow your favorite recipe of Thakkali Saadam.
2. You can use 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup quinoa if you like.