Monday, September 15, 2008

Sukke - Mixed Vegetables

Kantola and parwar are the vegetables that are not commonly available in my local Indian stores. and I don't care much for the frozen variety. So when I saw them fresh, I picked them quickly and I was wondering about their Konkani names. Which one is FaggiL and which one is Goyante, I asked myself. and I couldn't understand why I always keep messing these two names. While talking with mom, she told me the proper names and also reminded the delicious "Sukke", my grandmother used to prepare. I finally realized why I can't remember their konkani names. This sukke has both parwar and kantola; & that's what makes all the confusion. :-)
Sukke (pronounced as soo-kkayn)
Ingredients
5 -7 Parwar/Goyata/, sliced
5 - 7 Kantola/Faggil, sliced
1 potato, peeled & cut into chunks
1 raw banana, peeled & cut into chunks
1 sprig of curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Salt to taste
1 tbsp jaggery

Grind to a coarse paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 tsp tamarind
5 byadgi chilies
1 tbsp urad daal
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
Tempering
1 tsp oil
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1/2 tsp mustard seeds

Method
1. Prepare the vegetables as mentioned in the ingredients list. Add 1 sprig of curry leaves & turmeric powder along with 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil. Cover and let it cook.
2. Roast one after the other byadgi chilies, urad daal, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds - adding a few drops of oil.
3. Grind the masala along with the roasted spices. It should be a coarse paste
4. Add the masala to the cooked vegetables. Add salt and jaggery and 1/2 cup water.
5. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low to evaporate all the water.
6. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds & curry leaves.
7. As the mustard seeds start sputtering, add the tempered oil to the curry. Switch off the gas. Cover with the lid.

Note -
1. Though the masala needs to be coarse, make sure that seeds and chilies are well -ground but the coconut should be a little coarse. So do not over-grind.
2. This is a dry curry. So make sure the water is evaporated & the masala sticks to the vegetables.
3. Do not overcook the vegetables. They should be cooked but still need to hold their own taste and shapes.
4. Use coconut oil for the traditional flavor.
5. Similar sukke can be made of suran (elephant foot yam) and/or potatoes.

This post is my contribution to RCI:Konkan at Deepa's recipes n' more.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs