Monday, September 8, 2008

Quinoa Appe

I was introduced to this healthy grain - Quinoa after coming to the United States. Now, I include it quite regularly in my cooking. Yesterday, it inspired me to make Appe. :-)

Quinoa Appe
1 cup Urad Daal
1 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp Quinoa
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 - 2 green chilies, chopped
2 sprigs of curry leaves, torn
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1. Soak urad daal overnight.
2. Grind the drained daal in the morning. Cover and keep aside for 4 hours.
3. Soak 1 1/3 cups quinoa in water for 4 hours. Keep remaining 1 tbsp quinoa dry.
4. After 4 hours, mix drained quinoa and urad daal batter.
5. Add all the other ingredients including 1 tbsp quinoa.
6. Grease Appe Pan (or appe patra or Appya Kayili) and pour a spoonful of the batter.
7. Cover and let it cook. Flip and let it cook on the other side.
8. Serve with the chutney of your choice.

1. I kept spoonful of quinoa aside to get the crunch and to make a statement that it is indeed quinoa appe!!:-) But you can soak the entire quinoa if you like.
2. Instead if soaking, you can dry roast quinoa and grind to a coarse powder before adding to the daal batter.
3. You can grind the drained quinoa to a coarse paste and then add to the batter as well.

I am sending these Appe to Aparna's WBB: Grains in my breakfast event.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs