Friday, September 19, 2008
If you are looking for the original sev khamni or Amiri Khaman, read here. Leeli Sev Khamni - a variation - is made with summer fresh green peas. "Leeli" means the color green in Gujarati.
Leeli Sev KhamniIngredients
1 lb fresh green peas, shelled
1/2 cup milk
2-3 cloves green garlic with greens
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, fresh
Sev, as needed
1. Grind peas, garlic, ginger and cilantro along with salt to taste. It should be a coarse paste.
2. Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and sesame seeds.
3. As the sesame seeds change color, add ground paste.
4. Lower the flame and saute for 30 minutes till it resembles coarse semolina.
5. Add milk - spoonful ad a time and keep sauteing.
6. Garnish with coconut.
7. While serving top with sev and pomegranate seeds.
1.Frozen peas can be used. Make sure that they are completely thawed and drained. It may take more than 30 minutes to get the desired consistency with the frozen peas.
2. If you can't find fresh green garlic, use the regular garlic cloves.