Sunday, September 28, 2008


Oh no!! I missed the deadline. It always was at the back of my mind to send over the festive dishes for Onam celebrations at Priyanka's Asaan Khaana. I guess I neglected to check the deadline. I thought it is Sept 30th. Anyway, I will post the dishes I made for the event one after the other.

I have eaten Aviyal with gravy as well as dry version where the masala sticks to the veggies. I personally prefer the one with gravy to slurp this absolutely amazing and delicious concoction.

Mixed vegetable stew from Kerala
1 cup butternut squash, peeled & cubed
1 potato, peeled & cubed
1 green plantain, peeled & cubed
6-7 pieces of drumsticks
1/2 cup green peas
1/4 cup lima beans
1/3 cup carrots, peeled, diced
3 sprigs curry leaves
1 cup yogurt
salt to taste
3/4 cup coconut milk(I used reduced fat)
1 tsp coconut oil

Grind to paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
4-5 green chilies
1 tsp cumin seeds

1. Add all the vegetables to a big saucepan. Add 1/4 cup water and 2 sprigs of curry leaves. Bring to boil. Cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes till the veggies are cooked.
2. Mix yogurt with the ground paste and slowly add it to the saucepan. Add water to get the desired consistency.
3. Add salt to taste, remaining sprig of curry leaves.
4. As the curry comes to a gentle boil, add coconut milk & coconut oil.
5. Serve with rice or appam. (I love to slurp it like a soup/stew or should I say "stoup" a la Rachel Ray!!:-)

Note -
1. I have substantially reduced the quantity of coconut milk, coconut and coconut oil.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs