Sunday, August 17, 2008
When I was brand-new in this land of opportunity, many times I used to crave for the simple home cooked meal. Our kitchen was not set up fully then and the nearest Indian stores was many miles away. My best friend, Rakhee had arrived here few months earlier and she shared this fantastic recipe. All the ingredients are readily available in the usual American supermarket so we call it "Supermarket Daal palak". and with just a few ingredients, the daal gets ready in no time even when you are super busy. and the resulting daal, when served with plain rice, transports you - or at least me - straight to India. I love to slurp this daal like soup as well.
"Supermarket" Daal- Palak
1 cup split green peas /green peas daal
1 bunch fresh spinach, shredded
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
3 - 4 cloves garlic, peeled, slivered
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 dry, red chilies
1. Pressure cook daal adding double amount of water. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil. Add chilies, turmeric powder and garlic pieces.
3. As garlic changes color, add shredded spinach. Saute till the spinach is wilted.
4. Add cooked, mashed daal and water to get the desired consistency.
5. Add salt. Bring to a rapid boil.
6. Switch off the gas. Cover with a lid. Serve with plain rice.
This simple green daal goes straight to EC's celebration of colour in food for the color Green.