This is a simple poriyal recipe. Since I had purple potatoes (from the Farmers Market) at hand, i decided to use them. The idea to use curry powder in the poriyal came from the book "Dakshin" by Mrs. Chandra Padmanabhan. When I checked the recipe for the curry powder, it was more or less like sambar powder. So I decided to use sambar powder instead.
Purple Potatoes Poriyal
4-5 Purple potatoes, boiled, peeled, diced
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp curry powder or sambar powder
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp chana daal
1/2 tsp urad daal
2 sprigs curry leaves
2-3 red chilies, halved
1. Heat oil in a wok or a pan.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. As the mustard seeds splutter, and urad daal changes the color, add potatoes, salt & sambar powder.
4. Heat through for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid. Switch off the gas.
5. Serve with chapatis or sambar & rice.
1. Regular potatoes can also be used.
This post is my entry to EC's celebration of color in food for the color purple.