Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moogache Miritale Birde - Moong Peppercorn Curry

I love moong. I love coconut. If you like these ingredients so much that you do not want to overpower them with other spices, try this very mild curry. I learned this curry from my aunt. It is made on Mondays of Shravan while breaking the fast for "Shravan Somwar". So it does not have any onion or garlic.

I read a comment from SoWhat'snew today who said that this curry is called "White Birda" in her family. This comment triggered a nostalgic moment for me. I remember my aunt meticulously peeling off the peels of the green mung sprouts so the curry used to look serene white. I retain the peels for the dietary fiber but just decided to share the delicacy & the intricate process.

Moogache Miritale Birde
Mild Moong Curry
Ingredients
2 cups moong sprouts
1 tsp black pepper powder, freshly ground
2 green chilies, slit
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
salt to taste
1 cup coconut milk (I used reduced fat organic)
1 tsp rice flour

Tempering
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
few sprigs of curry leaves

Method
1. Add moong sprouts in a saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Add slit green chilies and ginger.
2. Cover and let it cook.
3. Mix salt, coconut milk, black pepper and rice flour till there are no lumps.
4. Add to the moong. Let it simmer on a low flame.
5. Heat oil in another small saucepan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and cumin seeds.
6. As they splutter, add to the curry and switch off the gas.

Note -
1. Instead of coconut milk, you can use freshly grated coconut. In that case, grind it along with black pepper and rice flour and add to the curry. Add enough water to adjust the consistency.
2. Freshly made coconut milk adds a wonderful taste.
3. This delicately flavored curry is considered a delicacy in the CKP community of Maharashtra.


This post is my contribution to Srivalii's Curry Mela.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs