It's impossible for me to name any one spice as my favorite spice. I love pretty much all the spices -especially while making spicy curries but for sweets, I love one and only one spice and that is cardamom. So here is one of the many recipes that includes only one spice and that is Velachi or Elchi or Veldoda or Elaichi or Cardamom of course!:-)
Madgane (pronounced as Mud-ga-Nay)
Chana Daal Kheer
1/2 cup chana daal
1 cup water
1/4 cup cashews
1 tbsp fresh coconut pieces (optional)
2 tbsp jaggery
a small pinch of salt
3/4 cup coconut milk
2-3 green cardamoms, crushed
1. Soak chana daal for 1 hour in water.
2. Drain and add 1 cup water and bring to boil.
3. Lower the gas and let it cook for few more minutes till it is half cooked. Now add washed cashews & fresh coconut pieces - if using. Cover and let it cook.
4. Now add jaggery. As jaggery melts, add pinch of salt. Stir well. Add coconut milk.
5. Bring to a gentle boil. Switch off the gas.
6. Stir in the freshly ground cardamom powder.
7. Cover. Serve warm or chilled.
1. I used reduced fat organic coconut milk.
2. While cooking the chana daal, if water evaporates, add more, but do not let the daal burn.
3. Traditionally, freshly scraped coconut is used to extract thick coconut milk for this kheer.
This kheer is celebrating Think Spice -Favorite Spice at Sunita's world.