Thursday, September 11, 2008

Kuval - White Peas Curry

Konkani food provides me the warmth of my grandmothers. I refer to Konkani food from Konkan, Maharashtra as "Malvani Food" and from Mangalore as "South Canara" food. But just as the language changes every 10 miles (or something like that!) in India, even the food changes per families, regions and homes. Even Malvani food differs drastically. My paternal grandmother never ever used Malvani Masala. and there are some Malvani friends who generously share their Malvani Masala with me, never ever cook anything without the Malvani Masala. and that lipsmackingly delicious food from Malvani restaurants in Mumbai will make you believe that Malvani food is just non vegetarian food. So here's my attempt to bring some simple Malvani home food to celebrate my Aaji's cooking and RCI:Konkan at Deepa's recipes n' more.

White Peas Curry
2 cups white peas sprouts, boiled
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 sprigs of curry leaves, torn

Grind to a smooth paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1/2 tsp tamarind paste/pulp
3-4 small green chilies (I used Thai variety)

1. Pressure cook white peas sprouts adding turmeric powder.
2. Add the cooked peas in a saucepan.
3. Add ground masala, curry leaves, salt and jaggery
4. Add water to get the desired consistency.
5. Bring to a rapid boil. Switch off the gas. Cover till ready to serve.
6. Serve with plain rice or chapati.

This post is my contribution to RCI:Konkan at Deepa's recipes n' more.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs