"Food for me was a connecting link to my grandmother, to my childhood, to my past. And what I found out is that for everybody, food is a connector to their roots, to their past in different ways. It gives you security; it gives you a profile of who you are, where you come from." - Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
It's really frustrating that you plan to make a dish, it comes out well, but then due to winter, there is just no sun in the sky and then your photo comes as disappointing as above. Hopefully, I will make this again in Summer and will get a better picture.
Bharla Karla Stuffed Bittergourds Ingredients 4-5 small bittergourds
Grind to paste
2 tbsp coconut
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 green chili
1 tsp tamarind paste
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Scrape the bittergourds. Slit in the middle. Sprinkle some salt and rub all over the gourds. Keep aside for 15 minutes
2. Squeeze the water out & rinse after 15 minutes.
3. Stuff the paste carefully inside the bittergourds. Place remaining paste on top of the gourds.
4. Heat oil in a pan or wok. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
5. Place stuffed bittergourds carefully in a single layer.
6. Cover & keep water on top. Let it cook on a low flame.
7. Serve hot.
1. You can tie a thread around the stuffed bittergourds.