Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rani Mukerji's Macher Jhol

Last few weeks Bollywood bug has bitten us. We are catching up on a lot of Bollywood movies. So I thought of having this silly guessing game on my blog. Thanks, friends for playing along.

Only Juby was right. The recipe is by Rani Mukerji!! I am sorry, I couldn't give any more clues than "Bollywood Cuisine".

Gudiya too watched a few Hindi movies like "My Friend, Ganesha" and "Luv-Kush" (Animated). She saw some zatkas and matkas of Bollywoods Songs DVD. She asked me the meaning of "Ladki kyu na jaane kyu, ladkonsi nahi hoti..." (Hum Tum). Well, now translating Bollywood songs to a 4 year old is not an easy task for me. But I told her it's just a nursery rhyme! ":-D
"Sugar & Spice, & everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of!"
Well, since then that song and Rani both have become Gudiya's favorites!!:-D

Today's recipe of Macher Jhol is supposed to be by Rani Mukerji. Told you I am crazy!! :-) Now what are the chances that Rani Mukerjee would call me for dinner or vice versa? So I will never know if it's a real recipe or not:-D

I had got this recipe from Filmfare Online a few years back. Every single recipe is special to me. So I never threw it away. and made Rani Mukherjee's so called "Macher Jhol"!!:-)

Please take this recipe in a lighter vein.

Though I more or less followed the same recipe, I made it in a very small quantity using a Rainbow Trout. I also added some onions and ginger because that's what I remember eating at a friend's place.

Rani Mukerji's Macher Jhol
Bengali Fish Curry
1 kg River Fish, cleaned, sliced
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp kalonji seeds
salt to taste
80 gm mustard oil

1 onion, chopped
250 gm tomatoes, chopped
2 green chilies, slit

2 red chilies, halved

1 tbsp water
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp ginger minced
A small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
Mustard oil for deep frying

1. Apply salt and turmeric powder to the fish slices. Set aside to drain.
2. Make a paste with chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger and water.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry fish slices till crisp.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. When it is smoking hot, add kalonji.
5. Add spice paste and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, slit green chilies and simmer till tomatoes are a mush.
7. Add the fried fish slices, cover and simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.

8. Garnish with coriander leaves
9. Serve with plain rice.

Notes -
As mentioned above I do not know how authentic the recipe is, but I thought it's kind of fun to do Bollywood Cooking this way!! :-)
Credits :-

FilmFare Online


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs