Saturday, July 26, 2008
After making saffron kulfi, I decided to make kesar-pista icecream using ricotta cheese.
Here's what I did -
Kesar Pista Ice-cream
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp doodh masala
1/2 tsp saffron + 1 tbsp warm milk
1 tbsp pistachio slivers
1. Mix evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk and bring to boil.
2. Add ricotta cheese and churn nicely so it is nicely incorporated. Simmer for 30 minutes on a low flame. Keep stirring to make sure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
3. Add saffron to a steel spoon and hold over a flame for a few seconds. Add to the warm milk and rub to get a bright yellow color. Add the saffron mixture, doodh masala and pistachios to the milk mixture and give a stir. Switch off the gas.
4. Let it cool down completely.
5. Pour in a freezer safe tray. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or till set.
6. While serving, thaw for 15 minutes in fridge and cut into squares.
1. I tried the above recipe with skim milk but it makes it too icy. If you want to use skim milk, you may need to add some cornflour in the mixture for thickening and after freezing, churn it with hand mixer to break ice-particles and freeze again. You may need to try this for 2-3 times.
2. If you want creamier texture, add heavy cream instead of milk.
This post is my entry to EC's WYF: Juices & Ice-Creams.