The pumpkin flowers are considered a delicacy in Malvani cuisine. If it's bud, fritters are made and if it's a flower, stir fry is made.
This year, I planted some squashes. When the plant bloomed, I remembered mom's recipe. I called her and was surprised to know how simple this recipe was. So I gave it a try. Here it is.
Bhoplyachya Foolanchi Bhaji
Pumpkin Flowers Stir Fry
Few bunches of pumpkin or squash flowers, washed & chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp tamarind
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Heat oil. Add turmeric powder and onion. Saute till onion is soft but not burnt or brown.
2. Now add chopped flowers and saute quickly.
3. It will be cooked in less than 5 minutes.
4. Add salt, chili powder, tamarind.
5. Garnish with coconut
1. Even if you have a big bunch of flowers, generally the yield is very small after cooking. So, add salt, tamarind and chili powder after the bhaji is cooked to get the right proportion.
Jihva event is started by Indira of Mahanandi.