This post is my contribution to Pooja's VoTW - Bottlegourd Event.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
I made it finally. I was not sure if I could meet Pooja's deadline, but I did it. :-)
This simple shaak is from South Gujarat. I like it for its simplicity.
Dudhi-Moth nu shaak
Bottlegourd-moth beans Stir Fry
1 fresh bottlegourd/dudhi/ghia/lauki, peeled, de-seeded & chopped
1 cup moth beans sprouts/Matki/Muth
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar to taste
1 tsp ginger-green chili paste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Heat oil. Add cumin seeds & asafoetida.
2. Add chopped bottlegourd, moth sprouts & chili-ginger paste.
3. Add 1 tbsp water and cover and cook till the gourd is cooked but not squished.
4. Add coriander-cumin seed powder, salt & sugar.
5. Let all the liquid evaporate. Serve hot with hot rotlas.
1. If the gourd is very fresh, you do not have to add any sugar.