Saturday, June 7, 2008


This was my Aaji's signature dish. Saanjori is nothing but a shira stuffed paratha. Shira is also known as (goad) saanja so this flatbread is called saanjori.

I am generally not much of a sweets person, but I used to devour Aaji's saanjori. I never ever made it myself till now, because I thought I will never ever come even close to her version. & I was not wrong. Though, my saanjori was not bad - it was not like aaji's. After all, it was her warmth and love that was omnipresent in everything that she used to cook. I am still a rookie.

Here's what I did -

Flatbread stuffed with Shira from Maharashtra

For the dough
1 1/2 cups wheat flour + some for dredging/rolling
salt to taste
1 tsp oil

For the stuffing
1 cup shira

For shallow frying
ghee (optional)

Method -
1.Knead the dough by adding water and oil. Knead well. Keep aside for 15 minutes, covered.
2. Take a ball of the dough. Roll into a puri/disc
3. Stuff some shira on the puri. Close the dough and roll it like paratha as described here.
4. Roast on a frying pan/griddle/tawa adding ghee as needed. I generally roast it without ghee and let people have ghee on their saanjori on need basis.

1. Though I did not use it, you can add 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour in making the dough. I prefer just wheat flour dough.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs