Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Murdaleli Chutney

I think this is the simplest coconut chutney that I know. You know why? It doesn't need any grinding at all. To get the right flavor, all you need is a very fresh coconut. That's it!

I learned this chutney from Rakhee - my best friend.

Interesting read - Malvan

Muradleli Chutney
Malvani Squished Chutney
1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
1/4 tsp freshly crushed black pepper powder
Salt to taste

1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 red dry chili, broken into halves

1. Mix coconut, salt & black pepper powder.
2. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering.
3. As the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the tempered oil into the coconut mixture.
4. Squish it so the oil is nicely incorporated and coconut mixture turns bright yellow.

Note -
1. The recipe is very forgiving. You can use your own proportions.
2. Getting a good quality fresh coconut, is a challenge for me here. So I used freshly scraped frozen coconut. Thaw the desired amount completely before proceeding.
3. Generally, this chutney is served with Ghavne (Malvani dosas) for the breakfast. I served it with broken wheat/bulgur wheat idli. (Recipe coming soon)

This post is my contribution to Suganya's AFAM: Coconut event.
AFAM event is started by Maheshwari of Beyond the Usual.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs