There are many ways to make Malvani fish curry. This is the garlic based fish curry.
Surmai is a fish which is also known as iswan or vissaN. Sometimes, Oriental stores carry this fish. It also goes by the name King Fish.
Malvani Surmai Chi Amti
4-5 steaks of Surmai fish
Salt to taste
3-4 Kokum , rinsed & soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
Grind to a fine paste
3-4 byadgi chilies - roast in a drop of coconut oil
1/2 cup fresh coconut
2 Kashmiri chilies (optional)
1 tsp coriander seeds
2-3 cloves of garlic
4-5 black peppercorn
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp oil
remaining 1/2 onion, chopped
1. Clean and rinse the fish steaks. Apply some salt and turmeric powder. Cover and refrigerate till ready to use.
2. Grind the masala to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil. Saute chopped onion till it is soft.
4. Add masala and water to achieve the required consistency.
5. Place fish steaks gently. Add salt & soaked kokum along with water.
6. Bring to boil. Let it simmer.
7. Serve hot with rice - especially ukdya tandalacha bhat.
1. Kashimiri chilies are added to get the bright red color.
2. Rainbow trout steaks can be substituted.