Thursday, June 26, 2008
Packed with proteins, my version of this daal is for Sangeeth's Eat Healthy: Proetin rich event.
1/4 cup Toor daal
2 tbsp Moog daal
2 tbsp Masoor Daal
1 tbsp Vaal Daal (optional)
2 tbsp chana daal
2 tbsp Whole Moong/Mung beans
2 tbsp Rajma/Kidney beans
1 tbsp black whole urad
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1 tsp clarified butter/ghee
1 small onion
1" ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 red chili broken
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Cilantro /coriander leaves
1 tbsp evaporated milk (low fat)
1. Pressure cook daals and beans adding double amount of water. (about 1 cups daal mixture will need 2 cups water).
2. Heat oil & ghee together in a pot. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. Add cooked, mashed daal.
4. Add 1 cup water, salt to taste.
5. Bring to boil. And then let it simmer. It should have a thick consistency.
6. Garnish with cilantro and evaporated milk.
1. For a richer version, you can make this daal in 1 tbsp ghee and add 2 tbsp heavy cream instead of evaporated milk.
2. Daals and beans approx. measure up to 1 cup in the above recipe.
This post is my contribution to Sangeeth's Eat Healthy:Protein rich event.