Growing up, my first encounter with soybean was strawberry flavored soy milk marketed by Godrej. But, later having discovered the benefits of soybean, I have started using it in my cooking whenever possible. If you like the nutty flavor of soybean, you will like this usal else substitute some other beans like lima beans, white peas or chana.
Soybean Chi Usal
Soybean Stir fry
1 cup dry soybeans, soaked overnight,
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
7-9 curry leaves (optional)
1 small onion, minced
1 small tomato, chopped (optional)
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp goda masala
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1 tsp coconut
1. Heat oil. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Meanwhile, pressure cook soybean adding water till 2- 3 whistles.
2. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Add soybean along with the cooking liquid, chili powder, jaggery, salt.
4. Bring to boil. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. If you want dry usal, simmer more till water is completely evaporated.
5. Garnish with cilantro & coconut.
6. Serve with lemon wedges on side.
First picture - Soybean chi usal is my entry to Click : Beans & lentils at Jugalbandi.