1 cup prawns/shrimp
1/2 tsp garlic pulp
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp black pepper, crushed
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp onion powder
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add khada masala & turmeric powder.
2. Stir in onions. Saute till golden brown. Add tomato & stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add drained basmati rice. Saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add water & salt to taste. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Set aside. Let it cool down.
5. Heat oil in another pan. Saute marinated prawns till they are cooked.
6. Mix in cooked prawns with rice, without breaking the rice.
7. Reheat the cajun biryani for 10 minutes by giving indirect heat i.e. keeping a tawa on the gas and putting vessel on the tawa. Let the gas be lowest.
1. Devi didn't give the exact measurements. Her cookbook is more of her emotional journal (or outburst!). The above measurements are mine and are not exactly similar to Devi's recipe.