Thursday, May 1, 2008

Khad - Mince Meat Pie from Rajasthan

All of my Marwadi/Rajasthani friends are vegetarians. I have relished some authentic Marwadi vegetarian food like saangar ki subzi, gatte ki subzi, moong daal paratha and panchmel daal at their homes. So when I came across this recipe in my Sumeet recipe booklet, I was intrigued. I had never tasted a non-vegetarian Marwadi food. So I had to try it.

Here it goes. (It kind of reminds me of Quesidilla or Tostada minus cheese).

Khad -Mince Meat pie from Rajasthan
Recipe inspired from Sumeet Recipe Booklet

1 lb ground meat/Kheema (chicken/mutton)
2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced

1 tomato, diced
1 tbsp oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
1 tsp lemon juice
6 multi-grain tortillas

Grind to fine paste
1/2 medium onion
1 bunch of coriander leaves
1" ginger
3 cloves of garlic
2-3 green chilies
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1. Marinate mince/kheema with ground paste, salt & yogurt.
2. Heat oil in a kadai/wok.
3. Add chopped onions. Saute till golden brown. Add tomatoes. Saute till cooked.
4. Add mince/kheema mixture. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes. Fry till the liquid is evaporated. Cook till mince is soft. Let it cool completely.
6. Pre-heat oven to 350 F
7. Spread a portion of cooked meat on a tortilla or fulka.

8. Place second tortilla on top, spread some more meat & repeat till all the tortillas are used up.
9. Make sure that the topmost tortilla covers the meat. Spray oil once on top.

10. Take an Aluminum foil. Spray oil once. Wrap the stack of tortillas in the greased foil. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 9 minutes .
11. Flip over and bake for another 9 minutes.

12. Tear off the foil. Cut into wedges.

13. Serve with mint chutney & lemon wedges.

1. I have slightly changed the original recipe to suit my family's needs. I have also halved the recipe.
2. You can probably use your favorite kheema recipe and use the leftover chapatis to make this Khad.

3. Since multiple tortillas/chapatis are stacked with meat, just one wedge is quite filling.

Sumeet Recipe booklet.

This post is my contribution to RCI: Rajasthan - Flavours of the Desert.

RCI event is started by Lakshmi of VeggieCuisine.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs