Ripe banana and fresh fenugreek leaves make an unusual combo, that is enjoyed immensely in Gujarati kitchens.
Kela Methi na Thepla
Banana-Fenugreek Leaves Flatbread
2 ripe bananas, peeled & mashed with a fork approx = 2 cups
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup ground flax powder (optional)
1 tsp oil
1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves, rinsed and chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ginger-green chili paste
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
Oil for roasting
More wheat flour for dredging
Chundo or pickle
1. Mix all but last 3 ingredients.
2. Add wheat flour to bind the dough
3. Make about 11 uniform balls.
4. Roll into thin flatbreads using wheat flour for dredging
5. Heat a griddle or tawa.
6. Roast on a hot tawa, using oil as needed so brown spots appear on both sides.
7. Store in a clean cotton kitchen napkin or aluminum foil.
1. Do not use any water for kneading.
2. Do not keep dough for a long time as it may turn black due to the ripe bananas.