Friday, May 9, 2008

Black Beans Paratha

After seeing Gudiya enjoying "Rajma Paratha", I decided to sneak in black beans next time. and made this Black Beans Paratha. The ingredients and method were more or less similar to the Rajma Paratha. While I was roasting this paratha, the aroma reminded me of Maharashtrian Thalipeeth.

Here's what I did -

Black Beans Paratha
Ingredients

1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 tbsp fire-roasted green peppers
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Green paste - cilantro+green chili+ginger+garlic (ue more or less per your taste)
1/2 small onion, minced
2 cups wheat flour (or as needed)
2 tbsp besan
salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1 tsp oil
Wheat flour for rolling paratha
oil for shallow frying

Method
1. Mash black beans using a fork.
2. Mix all the ingredients to knead a dough.
3. Cover and keep it aside for 15 minutes
4. Make equal sized balls. Roll into parathas or rotis.
5. Shallow fry on a pan or griddle till brown spots appear on both sides. Use oil as needed.

Notes -
1. I generally first mix the ingredients without adding any water. Then I add water on need basis. Also after the dough is formed, I add 1 tsp oil. So the dough looks shiny.
2. When shallow frying, I generally use a few drops of oil only on one side of the paratha. Use oil according to your own preference.
3. Please note that black beans that I have used here, are not whole black urad. Black beans are used extensively in Mexican cooking.




These parathas are going straight to Srivalli's Roti Mela: celebration of Indian flatbreads.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs