Thursday, April 23, 2009
This is an awesome salad that my grandmother used to make. I tried to modify a little bit by baking the suran or yam pieces. But for the authentic flavor, you can shallow or deep fry the yam dices.
Soorna KootYam Salad
1 piece of yam/suran or 1 packet frozen suran/yam1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 green chilies, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tsp raw coconut oilJuice of 1/2 lemon (you can use more if you like)
1. If using chunk of suran/yam, wash it, peel it and dice it. If using frozen packet, thaw it completely. Dice it.
2. Soak the suran dice in the salty water.
3. Dry them on the paper towel.
4. Pre-heat the oven 350 F. Add mix olive oil with the yam pieces. Mix thoroughly so the yam pieces are evenly coated with the oil. Bake the yam pieces for about 15 minutes till they are nicely browned.
5. Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
6. Serve immediately.
1. Traditionally, this koot is made by deep frying the yam pieces.
2. You may need to check from time to time if you are baking to see the right consistency of the yam pieces. Do not bake for a long time as it will turn too hard. and it will be difficult to chew.
3. You need to serve this immediately otherwise it will turn soggy and wilted. So keep the yam ready (baked or fried) and then mix the rest just before ready to serve.