Friday, March 23, 2012

Shrikhand


(I am re-posting this blog post to wish you all a very happy new year.)

Today is our New Year Day. So I made Shrikhand to welcome the new year. May all of you have a wonderful year ahead - even if you celebrate today as a new year or not. God bless!
Shrikhand
श्रीखंड
Ingredients
1 container Greek Yogurt
3/4 - 1 cup sugar (Depending on your own preference!)
A pinch of salt
Garnish
1/2 tsp Charolis
2 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
1 tbsp warm milk + few strands of saffron

Method
1. Mix Greek yogurt, salt & sugar
2. Stir in cardamoms, saffron milk.
3. Garnish with Charolis.

Note -
1. Greek Yogurt is the yogurt where water/whey is all drained.
2. You can use usual plain yogurt, hang it in a muslin cloth or multiple layers of coffee filters for 6-8 hours to drain the whey and then proceed. I generally make Shrikhand/Amrakhand this way.

Verdict:
1. I made this shrikhand using the Greek yogurt for the first time today. I used the non-fat version, that could be the reason, but I felt that Shrikhand had more moisture than I would have liked. Use low-fat or full-fat version of Greek yogurt or use the usual method of draining the yogurt in a muslin cloth to get the creamier Shrikhand.

Note - The above greeting card is from here.

Happy Gudhi Padva
Happy Ugadi


नूतन वर्षाभिनंदन

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs