Monday, April 7, 2008

Rajma Paratha

It was time to do some pantry cooking. I found a can each of kidney beans, fire-roasted green peppers and tomato paste. So decided to use all of them. First I thought of making Rajma curry but then I wanted a one dish meal. So I finalized on making Rajma Paratha. It was my own little experiment and we - especially Gudiya, just loved it.

Here's what I did -

Rajma Paratha
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 tbsp fire-roasted green peppers
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 cups wheat flour (or as needed)
2 tbsp besan
salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1 tsp oil

Wheat flour for rolling paratha
oil for shallow frying

1. Mash rajma using a fork.
2. Mix all the ingredients to knead a dough.
3. Cover and keep it aside for 15 minutes
4. Make equal sized balls. Roll into parathas or rotis.
5. Shallow fry on a pan or griddle till brown spots appear on both sides. Use oil as needed.
6. I served the rajma parathas with carrot-walnut salad inspired by Kashmiri cuisine.

Notes -
1. I generally first mix the ingredients without adding any water. Then I add water on need basis. Also after the dough is formed, I add 1 tsp oil. So the dough looks shiny.
2. When shallow frying, I generally use a few drops of oil only on one side of the paratha. Use oil according to your own preference.
3. Initially, I was skeptical if I could roll the rajma stuffed paratha easily. But it was not at all a problem.
4. If you feel 1 tbsp of garlic is too much for your liking, you can reduce it. But I like the flavor of garlic with kidney beans.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs