Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Irani Egg Curry

My husband loves the egg curry served at the Irani restaurants of Mumbai. It's amazing that when you are away, you read something and wonder how you never ever went to a particular place in the city, where you (& four generations before you) grew up. So a few years ago when we went back home, my husband and I were determined to eat at the famous Irani restaurants, which we had heard fondly only in the talks of the nostalgic elders of the family. So we went there to eat their famous "baida curry". Of course, rather than enjoying the curry with soft paav, I did my own thing of decoding the ingredients in the curry. I noted down all the ingredients (which I thought anyways!) in my notebook after coming home.
I found that scribbled recipe while flipping the pages of my notebook. So thought of making my version of the Irani Egg curry.

Irani Baida Curry
Egg Curry with Irani/Parsi influence
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
1/2 Tbsp jaggery or sugar
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp Oil
salt to taste

Grind to a fine paste
1/3 cup coconut
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
5 dry red chilies
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
7-8 almonds

1 Tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves

1. Heat oil. saute onion till golden brown.
2. Add the ground paste. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup water, salt to taste, jaggery.
4. Bring to boil.
5. Add hard-boiled, halved eggs.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Notes -
1. You can discard egg yolks if you are watching your cholesterol.
2. Increase or decrease the amount of chilies per your own preference.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs