Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Bhinda nu ShaakGujarati Okra Stir Fry
1 lb Okra/Bhendi/Bhinda/Bhindi, cut into matchsticks
1 medium potato, peeled, cut into matchsticks
Salt to taste
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder, preferably freshly ground
1/2 tsp mild chili powder like Kashmiri chili powder or paprika
A generous pinch of chaat masala
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
0. Cut okra & potatoes in matchsticks.
1. Heat oil in a kadai/wok .
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. As the mustard seeds start spluttering, add okra and potatoes. Add coriander-cumin seeds powder & paprika/chili powder. Give a quick stir.
4. Stir fry from time to time. Cover with a lid. Let it cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes or till okra is tender.
5. Add salt and chaat masala.
6. Serve with chapati or Gujarati Dal & rice.
1. Remember that chaat masala has rock salt in it. So adjust salt accordingly.